Monday, March 16, 2009

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Hello!!! Today started my first day at work at Sutter Memorial Hospital. I, of course, woke up entirely too early and arrived about 30 minutes before I was actually supposed to be there. For the first half of the day, I took competency tests related to various protocols and procedures. This was all very boring, but I did meet a fellow traveler who, unfortunately, will not be at my hospital. We did exchange numbers, so at least there is someone to hang out with (and she brought along the husband, kids, dogs, and cats....I won't be alone!)

Lunch was had outside on the hospital's patio. The weather here is sunny, clear, and about 65ish. Absolutely gorgeous! I am sad to report there is no Starbucks in this hospital, so I will have to get my fix before work.

After lunch, I learned about the hospital's IV pumps, PCA pumps, defibrillators, etc. One of the instructors had a Mickey-shaped ID badge holder, which I let him know I coveted. Once he found out I was a Disney addict, he offered extra tickets for me to use when my family gets here. Did I mention I love Cali?! I also learned that I am working entirely too hard back at my home hospital. Now, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but so far I am amazed at all of the things I won't have to do.

For one, I don't have to draw any labs. None. The lab comes and draws them for me. It's incredible. I don't think I have to draw my own cultures either, but I'll have to see. Now me, I would rather keep all of my responsibilities, but goodness! Without labs to draw. .. .whatever will I do? Secondly, let's say my patient is rather large and I need help getting them from the bed to a chair. No need to break my back....I'll just call the LIFT TEAM! They have a lift team people, this is nuts! And apparently a patient who requires continuous dialysis constitutes a 1:1 nurse to patient ratio. Seriously?!?! I visited my unit (anonymously) and discovered it's set up much the way CCU was set up, except I saw one patient on a vent and the others looked pretty stable to me. Whatever am I going to do with my time?

Oh that's right. I'll go the park! McKinley Park is just a few miles away from the hospital and let me just show you how absolutely gorgeous it is! Full of people walking dogs, doing yoga, eating ice cream, and jogging, it's one place I think I'll definitely have to frequent. I'm not sure what I loved more, the ducks or the flowers.

It was a beautiful day to be here and to welcome Spring in.

Tomorrow is my last day on orientation, and then I will get my schedule. I should get a better idea of what work will be like.

Love and miss you all (but not the weather!)!

***By the way kudos to my favorite sister for teaching me about Flickr and linking pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! No problem about the flickr/picture thing. I knew you'd love that.

    Also, what's this "when my family gets here" bit about? Who's coming to join you besides Jonathan?

    ReplyDelete