Thursday, March 26, 2009

I am just trying to be culturally sensitive! I swear!

Ok, for those of you at UAB who are used to my weirdness, here is a story just for you! Last week, I took care of a gentleman from Pakistan who spoke no English, only Punjabi. There was no translator available for me, and no family with the man. After trying extensively to look up "medical picture communication boards" and such to no avail, I gave up. The night went pretty good, and the day was almost over..hooray! I was beginning to give report, and my Pakistani friend suddenly decided he needed to get up out of the bed. Like NOW. I couldn't tell exactly what he wanted, but he did not want my help. He had a foley catheter, so he didn't need to pee I thought to myself. Well, I got the bright idea that maybe (maybe?) he wanted to...pray to the east? I don't know...I'm not that culturally aware. So I begin to fold up an extra blanket because the floors are nasty and cold and if he's gonna pray by golly he'll do it on a soft blanket! Are you all laughing yet because you should be! Turns out my friend just wanted to have an, *ahem* bowel movement! Yes yes, I am a total dork. And apparently the day shift nurse who bore witness to all of this told my story around the unit, so now everyone knows what a wacko I am! As one nurse put it, "I don't think I've ever been that culturally sensitive in my life!"

Welcome to Sacramento!


On another note, last night one of the nurses on night shift made us all Baklava, and it was so amazing I just had to get a picture! And then, a view out of my patient's window of the beautiful dawn!

2 comments:

  1. OH, no. /shaking my head

    Thank goodness he didn't pee on the blanket. Wait, no, that would have been funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing out loud!! I would have probably been the same way! FUNNY! :)

    ReplyDelete