Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sacramento Explorer

I've had two days (*gasp*) off this week, and I spent this afternoon doing a little bit of sight seeing. I first went to Old Town Sacramento. It dates back to 1848 during the California Gold Rush days. People moved here in search of riches on the riverbanks. It's really a neat old town, complete with the terminus of the Transcontinental Railroad and the originination of the Pony Express!! It reminded me much of Downtown Northport but larger.

I then drove to the Capitol Building, although I arrived too late to tour it. However, I did spend much of my time pilling around the grounds of the Capitol, which had several different beautiful trees, including my first redwood to see up close!! They had the trees labeled as a "tree tour", but alas, I didn't have the brochure! They had lots of different plaques/statues around the grounds. I was excited at all of the orange trees around, and it reminded me of Soarin' at Disneyworld. The very large Capitol is much the same on all four sides, and is centered in the middle of downtown. Throughout the city are neigborhoods with houses reminiscent of New Orleans or Boston homes, only smaller.

You can tell that Sacramento is a very young-centered city. There are corners with coffeehouses, bistros, boutiques, and various bars. This is a city famous for its cycling culture, and people in their 20s and 30s would probably feel quite at home.


I enjoyed my little tour, but alas, work calls. I will be at the hospital Thursday-Sunday nights, and look forward to my next day off!

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures and really enjoy reading your blog! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete