Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My family comes to visit!!

I have been on a posting hiatus because I've been too busy having fun with my family!! Last Friday, after a very long and yucky week at work, I picked Jonathan, Denise, and Kyle's mom Carolyn up from the Sac Airport. We began our visit by going to Old Sacramento and eating dinner on the river (although the service was awful and we had no view to speak of). But the real vacation started Saturday.On Saturday, Jonathan, Denise, and I drove to Yosemite National Park. It was about a 3 1/2 hour drive, and there would be pictures of the really scary hills I had to maneuver up the mountain, except that I was the driver, and it would have gotten us killed. I had to drive these hairpin turns with no guardrails at about 3000 feet elevation and climbing when the punishment for taking the turn too fast was a quick fall down the ravine. I was a nutcase! But we made it, and we justly rewarded. Yosemite was absolutely phenomenal. There were really big trees of course, and even more beautiful views. We decided to take a two hour tram tour around the park, and enjoyed every bit of it (except that it was freezing cold). Our tour guide was Ranger Phaedra, and she described to us how Yosemite National Park came to be, from the tectonic plates moving to create the mountains, the Gold Rush, and the formation of the National Park service. We passed by many different waterfalls, like Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite Falls, and Ribbon Falls. We also passed by El Capitain, a famous destination for rock climbers. Our tour took us to Yosemite Valley, where you can see how the water helped shape the cliffs. We learned about the famous Firefall--where the national park service used to push flaming debris off the cliff for fun. Jonathan was disappointed but not surprised that they lost their sense of humor after the 60s and stopped the practice. We saw some wildlife, but unfortunately no bears. =( We walked to the foot of Yosemite Falls, and we enjoyed comparing our heights to those of the massive Ponderosa Pine trees. I wish that we could've camped there, and of course I wish Dad could've flown out here for this. It was one of the most beautiful and breathtaking views and displays of God's creation I have ever seen. Here are some links to more photos:

a River
The Guins
Cold and Windblown
Foot of Yosemite Falls part 1
Foot, part 2
on the way home

Of course that wasn't the end of our vacation by any means, but I have to go to sleep now so I can go to work tonight. Up next: Alcatraz, San Francisco, Wicked, Monterey, 17 mile drive, and Carmel!

Have a happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment